Dated from the second half of the 19th century, Ca. 1870, rare cast iron statue of La Fileuse de Procida after Louis Léon Cugnot (1835-1894) by the Salin foundry. The statue represents a girl from an Italian village on the island of Procida. Delicately dressed in a draped and molded dress revealing her forms, the spinner seems, with arms raised, to draw a woolen thread from her skein. Restoration at two arms.
Louis Léon Cugnot, French sculptor is the son of the sculptor Etienne Cugnot. He entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1854 and studied with sculptors Georges Diebolt and Francisque Duret. He won the first Grand Prix of Rome in sculpture of 1859 for injured Mézence, preserved by the fearlessness of his son Lausos and was therefore a resident of Villa Medici in Rome from 1860 to 1863.
Léon Cugnot exhibited for the first time at the Salon of the French artists of 1863 and will be there practically every year until 1889 : he received several medals and especially one at the Universal Exhibition of 1867.
His works are famous, including at the Musée d'Orsay his statue of Corybante choking the cries of Jupiter child, exposed until 1981 at the Jardin des Tuileries. Also exhibited at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon is its bronze statue of the drunken fauna.