Dated from the second half of the 19th century, Ca. 1860-1880, rare cast iron statue of Bacchus by the Val d'Osne foundry. The statue depicts Bacchus, god of wine, in inebriety: the right hand holds a cantharus, that the god carries to his mouth, while the left hand encloses a lekyth that is already ready to re-use. Everything in Bacchus's position is turned towards that cup that he already seems to be drinking: his body bent to the right, his knees lifted. The nudity of the god is masked only by a few leaves of vines.
Stamp on the plinth: "Fonderie du Val d'Osne" belonging to J. J. Ducel et Fils. It is possible to compare with this statue the Bacchus of Michelangelo (1475-1564) exhibited at the Bargello, or that of Caravaggio (1571-1610) exhibited at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
H : 99 in (statue 71 in ; pedestal 27.6 in)