Dated from the early 20th century, Ca. 1910, imposing stone pair of Dogs carved by Thomas François Cartier (1879-1943). This group presents two Dogues growling, each wearing a large leather collar and showing the fangs. Signed T CARTIER. Comparative picture of a terracotta Fury Tiger by Cartier.
Student of Georges Gardet, Cartier began as animal sculptor to "la ruche". Founded in 1902 by the sculptor Alfred Boucher, "la ruche" regrouped young artists without ressourcese and for the most part become famous (Modigliani, Soutine, Brancusi, Chagall ...). Very popular in the early 20th century, Cartier took part in many exhibitions in Paris : Salon des artistes français, Arts Décoratifs (1908 Honorable Mention; 1922 Gold Medal fora wolf called "Alert"; 1927 Gold Medal).
After the 1st World War, Cartier settled into an ancient pottery in St-Amand-en-Puisaye and realized many sandstone sculptures including a lioness and a portrait of Clemenceau.
The aspect of these dogs also reminds us of the animal sculptures located on the arcades of Château de Raray (photo attached).
Minor losses and previous restorations at the tails.